Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Halloween in Japan

This country doesn't really celebrate Halloween. There might be a couple decorations here and there but it isn't anything like the US. I was able to bring a little Halloween spirit to my kids thru classes and costumes throughout the week. My costume run down is as follows...

Monday- Black cat
Tuesday- Baby Minnie Mouse
Wednesday and Thursday I had observations so I didn't think it would be a good idea for the boss.
Friday- Real Minnie Mouse

Friday morning there was an observation as another AETs school, Heather Worsham. They involve the community in that kids get to walk up and down a street "trick-or-treating" to the shop keepers for stamps as well as roaming AETs for stickers. They have the English conversation which sounds like this...

Student- Trick-or-treat
AET- Who are you?
Student- I'm a witch/pumpkin/black cat (these were the main three) but others include Death and a Samarii.
Sticker please.
AET- Here you are. Happy Halloween!

The kids really enjoyed it and I loved it! I felt like I was Minnie Mouse at Disneyland because I had a line of kids for most of the hour lined up waiting to talk to me as well as parents and random shoppers stopping me for pictures. It was so much fun! Plus the kids were able to practice their English with many foreigners which is great exposure.

After the observation I got to head back to my school and pass out candy to all my kids during lunch time. Normal Japanese schools frown upon giving candy or food of any kind (besides lunch) to the kids but my school is awesome so I handed out 333 dum dums to kids and teachers! It was so much to share the US tradition of Halloween to kids in Japan!

1 comment:

  1. 1. I love that you were Baby Minnie Mouse and Regular Minnie Mouse.
    2. And that you loved Halloween because you felt famous...like a person who works at DisneyLand, who are obviously uber famous.
    3. I love you and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete